FateKid

DEVIL DID IT

Admin

Status

Resources

Bits Credits

LEVEL

5,910 XP

I have designed many color themes for XenForo boards over the years, and at times I would struggle with finding good sets of colors to use. Too many colors can make a design look too busy, and odd color combinations do not appeal to the eye. In addition, there were times I wanted shaded versions of colors, but never could get them to look right. Or, what about those times you wanted to use a header image, but never could get your color choices to match the image?

Enter Adobe Color.

https://color.adobe.com/

Adobe Color is a free service (for now) which lets you create color palettes that you can use in any application, including XenForo's styles. In fact, it is no mistake that XenForo's default style is blue with orange-ish highlights, as the style is using shades of a complementary color to grab attention and present us with a call to action.

Here is a similar complementary color palette based on XenForo's blue:

1639418732077-png.png

On the left, you can choose the type of colors you are using with your primary color, based on values on the color wheel. "Complementary" colors are 180° apart on the color wheel. "Triad" instead chooses colors 120° apart:

1639418881241-png.png

In the lower left corner, you can change Color Mode to HSB and adjust the saturation and lightness of your color choices. Changes you make on the sliders are echoed on the color wheel. Notice the same Triad color choices are made, but saturation is drawn in towards the center.

1639419003725-png.png

You can also grab any color on the wheel and drag it around.

One feature that really attracts me to Adobe Color is the ability to upload your own image, and Adobe Color will offer suggestions as to a color theme.

1639419131325-png.png

If Colorful (chosen on the left) is too bold, try one of the others:

1639419164112-png.png

Still not cutting it? You can drag each of the five circles around and choose your own colors.

You can also create a gradient from a photo. In this example, I set Gradient Stops to 4, and dragged the circles around to choose colors. As with Adobe's gradient editor in Photoshop, you can also drag the controls in the gradient (the circles and the diamonds).

1639419369609-png.png

In all Adobe Color modes, you can copy the color code in any format you would like-hex, RGB, HSV, etc.

Hopefully Adobe Color will help you create some attractive palettes for your next XenForo styling project!

Liked by:

SkyNet

Newcomer

Status

Resources

Bits Credits

LEVEL

390 XP

choosing color sometimes very difficult. Because we want other people not boring watching our color combination settings.
Dark verus Light mode

color should make our eyes relax. And btw, XF not accept RGB and gradient (-webkit-linear-gradient) color sometimes is fun

FateKid

DEVIL DID IT

Admin

Status

Resources

Bits Credits

LEVEL

5,910 XP

choosing color sometimes very difficult. Because we want other people not boring watching our color combination settings.
Dark verus Light mode

color should make our eyes relax. And btw, XF not accept RGB and gradient (-webkit-linear-gradient) color sometimes is fun
I'm always changing the color scheme around NullForums, ha!
It's hard to stick with a color palette.

SkyNet

Newcomer

Status

Resources

Bits Credits

LEVEL

390 XP

that's good. So, must save the custom css for quick changing, right?
i read somewhere that color has correlation affects to our mood and psychology.
But, maybe it's true. Because, every people love in some places, like the jungle with green color, the blue sea, the sky.

Love those idea, thanks.

Liked by:

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkzao
Top Bottom